View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2001, 07:03 PM   #8
Kyrie
User

Default Re: New collector pitfalls

Hi Marvin!

Itâ??s good to be back, but Iâ??ve never been far away. I just havenâ??t had much to report on the Luger front, other than the 1923 Finn in the Collectorsâ?? Corner (big, sloppy, smile!).

Restorations arenâ??t usually a problem, as very few restorations are perfect (most arenâ??t even very well done). They are easily spotted for what they are. Not the least reason for this is just what you point out - a well done restoration looks too good to be true. I (and most all the collectors I know) donâ??t have a problem with restorations.

Speaking specifically of the recent imports, these are impossible to completely restore due to the importation marks. These markings cannot be legally removed as they are a part of the identifying marks of the firearm. Anyone who removes these is subject to some serious Federal charges. Other than that rather large hurdle, I see no more problem restoring these than in restoring any other Luger.

On a related subject these newly imported pistols are going to be a blessing mixed with a curse for Luger collectors. A good friend of mine (and an advanced collector) was recently approached by a well respected gunsmith with a request to help use these pistols to fake rare Lugers. To say he declined would be putting it mildly. But be alert for a sudden influx of rare and uncommon Lugers on the market - they arenâ??t going to be what they have been made to look like :-(

This was not exactly unexpected - the only thing I find surprising is it took so long (sigh...).

On a happier note, Iâ??ve been corresponding with a fellow who just inherited a Luger that had been in his family for many decades. After a bit of back and forth to get a description of the pistolâ??s characteristics, it appears he has very nice 1900 American Eagle variation. With all our recent talk about fakes I just thought it would be nice let folks know very nice examples of uncommon variations do come to light very now and again

Very best,

Kyrie