View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2001, 08:01 PM   #7
Kyrie
User

Default John - Very well said, and I respect..

Hi John!

Sorry about the subject, I just couldnâ??t resist

First let me thank you for your understanding and kind replies. Unfortunately this is one of those subjects that can raise strong feelings that make discussions deteriorate into acrimony, even though neither party wants that to happen.

Alas, I think you may still be missing one point - quite possibly because Iâ??m not being as clear as I should [wry smile]. Your comment, â??...my position is that why shouldn't I, or others - strive to make it "closer" to original with the addition of a numbered part...â? perhaps illustrates this.

With originality itâ??s never a matter of degree - a Luger is either all original or it is not. At the risk of choosing an overly dramatic example, consider the differences between the living and the dead. The living are required to pay taxes and are made to suffer if they do not. The dead are not subject to taxation (leaving aside any estate the dead may leave behind). If one falls gravely ill he is not a â??little deadâ? and his tax bill is not reduced according to how â??closeâ? he is to dead.

This example may be a little silly, but Iâ??m trying to point out there is no continuum of â??originalâ?. Either it is, or it ainâ??t

Regarding intent, I understand and appreciate your position. However (and you also knew this was coming [friendly smile]) we are responsible for more than just out intentions - we are responsible for the foreseeable results of our actions. As an illustration of this let me share with you a real life incident.

One of the fellows I used to shoot with was a State Trooper. On one occasion, while driving to the range, I noticed he was visibly upset. When I asked why he shared a case he had worked. It seems a fellow (former NASCAR type) had his infant daughter fall ill suddenly. He and his wife piled into his almost hand built â??Vette and sped off to the hospital. He drove fast and hard, and the three of them eventually arrived at the hospital - in the back of an ambulance.

On the way he broadsided a Mustang. His speed, at impact, was estimated well in excess of 100 miles per hour. The â??Vette just disintegrated at impact and the roll cage (with he and his wife) ended up almost a mile from the point of impact. His daughter was thrown free and by some miracle suffered only minor injuries. It took several days to identify the remains of the four people who had been in the Mustang.

The State Trooper I was with was the one who handled the accident scene. He had charged the driver of the â??Vette with four counts of involuntary manslaughter (he was later convicted and served a number of years). The State Trooper (and later the jury) found the man knew the potential consequences of his actions included death or injury to bystanders and acted anyway. That he was concerned about his daughter was in his favor, and was why he was not charged with four counts of vehicular homicide.

Anyway, I hope this points out that intent is not everything, and we are also responsible for the foreseeable results of our actions. In the context of our discussion we can reasonably foresee that should this or any Luger be made to look like it matches, it will at some point be sold as matching - regardless of any record keeping we may do.

So the question is, alas, a moral and ethical one that extends past our intent. We have to ask ourselves what kind of a legacy we want to leave behind for future collectors.

Anyway, I apologize for being so long winded on this subject and thank you for your time and patience.

Very best,

Kyrie