View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2001, 05:25 PM   #6
Marvin
User

Default Re: New collector pitfalls

Kyrie,

First, Welcome back to the Forum, I for one have really missed you. I have read your posting, the replys from others, and I agree with your comments on "faking" Lugers. I like mine to be matching and this is what I normally buy. I hope I never get one that has been made up or faked and this is why I try to read and learn as much as possible.

With the import marked, dip blued Lugers coming into the US the past several years, they make a great storehouse of parts to be used in swapping. I do have a couple of import marked Lugers and one has been been completely restored to original condition. I don't feel that this restoration was harming the pistol since it had already been "dinked" with by the Russians or whoever. The value may have increased slightly since I bought it at a good price and then the added cost for restoration was reasonable. It had all matching numbers which appear to be correct for the pistol. The pistol is absolutly beautiful, but anyone in their right mind would have to know it was restored; I have never seen a wartime Luger in perfect condition; they all had some slight blue wear somewhere. I have a Double Date Import, dip blued, being restored currently to original condition. I feel that this type work does not violate the faking of a pistol since it will have a mark on the pistol indicating a rework. What are your thoughts on reworking the import, dip blues back to original? Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Marvin