View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #19
Imperial Arms
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by G. van Vlimmeren
Hi Albert, Alf,

There is a level of difference between 'quality' and 'overengineering'. In my mind, the Germans were (and still are) experts in overengineering.

Quality can best be described as the ability to produce something in a manner that meets demands in levels of functionality, cost effectiveness, reliability and ease/speed of production.
Gerben,

I agree with you that German factories 'over-engineered' their products, but I guess that they were proud of their results even if it cost more money to manufacture. You and I probably rate 'quality' differently where you define it as "functionality, cost effectiveness, reliability and ease/speed of production" whereas I define it as precision and end results. The two factors that I have mentioned does not mean that it functions better. It is like comparing a Mercedes Benz car against a Honda car. Do not misunderstand me, the Honda car is a very good vehicle and it is cheaper to maintain, but the Mercedes Benz car is a better quality automobile and more expensive to maintain. At the end of the day, it is the standards of each country to determine what they want to give to the market or their people.

I believe that 'quality' is only an opinion, but if we use the same yardstick to measure the standards that each country wants to achieve, the German factories have a strong philosophy for practical use and also to produce quality even if the process is complicated. I do not know if the ideas and techniques originated from the US, but if they did learn it from the Americans, they sure improved upon it. Maybe the Chinese are doing the same today against the Americans and they will eventually over-take the Americans using their large work force and cheap labor! I guess we foreigners need to thank the US for all we have gained!!

Gerben, you have a good sense of humour and maybe the adjustment tool was originally made for another purpose! Nothing wrong about scratching our heads until we find the answer with the absence of any real documentation.

Cheers,
Albert

Alf, I would like to clarify that 1917 LP-08 pistols can still be found with adjustible sights as old inventory was being used up.
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Imperial Arms for your post: