View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #27
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I primed several cases and charged them with 3.5gr of Red Dot. Bullet seated to an OAL of 1.244". Ready to try them out...

I may not try any more until I get another set of springs from Wolff...(see other thread)...
Hi,

Then given a similar bullet nose contour, you should have a good starting place for continued A.O.L. experimentation.

Please also note that the Japanese were known to prefer short ogive bullets, leaving more of the bullet to actually ride on the lands. This was particularly so with their Arisaka rifles, the T-38 being, in my opinion, a simplification, yet refinement, of the Mauser action design.

Some golden daybreak, I'd like to design a truncated cone bullet for the 8mm Nambu, probably starting off with the DWM truncated cone for the 7.65 Parabellum as my guide.

Really, the 8mm Nambu and the 7.65 Parabellum both suffer from not having a decent selection of well designed bullets available to the handloader.

Regarding your powder, as soon as you get your feet wet with your new cases, I'd switch to the same True Blue powder you found so helpful in solving your 9mm problems, as the bottleneck cases should react particularly well to a slower powder.

Some fine day, when we can actually buy powder again, I'd like to experiment with the newer medium-slow/slow-slow powders to see if any of them are worth a hoot accuracy wise in the 9mm Parabellum pistol. Perhaps I'll be surprised, perhaps not, but the fun is in the experimentation and refinement of the various powders and other component parts of a load, always seeking that last little bit of perfection.

If you have the time to measure it, would you please give me the actual length of Ed's original Japanese bullet.

Thanks!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 01-25-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote