Unread 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
At first I thought it was that the expander/powder funnel was too large below the belling area...I had to machine .040in. off of the base of the Dillon expander/powder die...
I'm confused (and bewitched, bothered, and bewildered but that's another story) about what a 'powder funnel' die is...Is this for some kind of progressive loading press, with multiple stations that revolve with each pump of the handle (or maybe motorized)???

I only tried progressive loading once, and discarded the idea forever. (I had a 6-station press but the turret was too wobbly; I had to shim the rear with a feeler gauge to keep it from cocking at an angle when you cranked the ram up/down...I think it may have been an RCBS turret press but I can no longer remember...) I don't like the idea of cranking out a round with every pump. I'd rather do 50 de-primes at a time; then size those 50; then prime the 50; then charge the 50; and finally seat the 50 bullets...I'll even run 5 or 10 through all the steps and shoot them off to make sure I've got everything right...I especially like a 50 rd loading tray to charge the primed cases 50 at a time...And look in and see if I have a double charge, or a half charge, before I seat the bullets...

On Lee dies, when I first started reloading, I once had a set that had the plating flaking off...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote