View Single Post
Unread 07-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
Ron Smith
User

Dwight, Ron, Pete, et al,

Nevertheless, assembling a parts-Navy for fun, not profit, is intriguing.
Are there serious issues about fitting the parts. I can't imagine the barrel would be easy to remove/replace. Probably a job for KrausewerK.
I see the bid is holding at $100.00 for the rear toggle. Is it worth much more than that?

Russell,

There's nothing wrong with assembling a Navy Luger, as long as it's not done to purposely "boost or deceive". In other words, to fake it to the detail that it could be used to defraud someone.

Here are some photos of a very rare Navy Luger that I have in my collection. Probably the only one in existance. All matching numbers including the magazine.

Made with a "fine tune" front sight. "Extremely rare".

Probably the rarest of all Navys. Made in 1937 by Mauser. That is with the help of an expert pistolsmith.

A 1937/S42 Mauser with an original Navy rear sight , a turned down and shortened Artillery barrel. All serial numbers were force matched or boosted ,if you prefer.

I have always wanted a Navy Luger, but couldn't justify spending the money or going through the headache of avoiding a "Fake". And certainly would not consider shooting a $3500+ collector piece.

So, I bought this one from Richie Shavel aka "the gunman" for less than half of what a low-end original would have cost. And I can and do shoot it on a regular basis. It is extremely accurate out to 200+ yards. I have never regretted buying it from Richie. And probably would be one out of my collection that I would not sell, should the need arise. If I could own only one Luger, this would be the one.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote