Thread: Mauser Hump
View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2002, 09:31 AM   #1
Thor
User

Question Mauser Hump

The late collector Berny Lafferty wrote a great article entitled "Collecting the Mauser Military Parabellums" that was published in the Jan/Feb 1977 issue of The American Handgunner. He discusses the added hump, which is an extension of the rear of the frame to better contain the toggle axle pin. He also mentions the later Navy models accomplishing the same thing by enlarging the head on one side of the pin. He says somewhere within the K and G dates transition the OVERALL FRAME was lengthen, and when they wanted a hump on a model then just ground some of the material away. My question is, since the extension of the frame on all Mauser Military Lugers from G date had the extended frame and in doing so contained the pin better as intended, why o why did they go to the trouble to grind the metal off at all?? Seems like an ineffecient step as it is really not needed unless they were trying to keep a visual reminder that this frame was lengthened as opposed to earlier frame. It really makes no sense to me. Am I missing something, or just need more coffee?? What ya think? [img]confused.gif[/img]
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote