View Single Post
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Rob,

You have thoroughly identified a 1908 First Issue Military Luger. Production of these guns was actually begun in 1909; an estimated 25,000 units of this model were produced.

The takedown lever for this model should be strawed.

If you look just above and to the left of the small c/P above the trigger, in the frame rail, you should see a small, bright pin which has been added into the frame and dressed off to match the frame rail profile. 1908 Lugers were originally manufactured without a hold-open; in 1913 a directive was issued that P-08 in the field were to be returned to the Erfurt arsenal to be retrofitted with holdopens. This pin is part of the modification, and the stamp is the certification that it has been accomplished. At the same time the front sight was supposed to be modified, you should find a small c/letter on the sight block certifying that change.

79.R.M.G.80 should signify Machine Gun company of (infantry) Regiment no.79, weapon no.80. Unit mark identification is not my area of expertise, so others here will correct me if I am wrong, and perhaps have additional information.

As far as pictures are concerned, go through these Forums and look at profiles of Lugers which other correspondents have posted, and make your photographs accordingly.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote