Unread 09-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
If you based your bids on RIA's low/high estimates, they will be way way off. I've lowballed bids (as IthacaDave suggested) and bid hundreds over their high estimates and still been outbid, sometimes by a thousand or more.

...I no longer have any expectation of winning anything. I just like to receive the big auction catalogs.
If you keep it up, you will eventually win a lot! Persistence and patience will get results, I've found. It's not a really fast way to acquire examples for a collection, but when it hits, it's economical.

I go thru the catalog (for auctions that coincide with $ in my account) and plop down proxy bids for what I'm willing to pay for an item, then await the results. Use the auction company's site to leave the bid and save the Proxibid 3%! Pay by M.O. and save the credit card 3%!

The M1900 Stainless and M1900 Commercial, my last two, I think I did pretty darn well.