View Single Post
Unread 06-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
calibrator
User

I'll consider myself LUCKY to live another 10-15 yrs. Graduating High School in 1971, you can imagine the type of society that formed me and my value system. I always say I'm glad that my parents passed 25+yrs ago, and aren't around to witness what we've allowed to happen to our Society. I feel even greater sadness for the millions who died fighting WWII if they could somehow see not only the massive decline of the US, but the rest of the Free World as well.

Fatalism

Philosophical doctrines
Fatalism is a family of related philosophical doctrines that stress the subjugation of all events or actions to fate or destiny, and is commonly associated with the consequent attitude of resignation …

Anymore, I'd say I'm a Fatalist. The "System" is too entrenched to be overturned. Small victories are won against it occasionally, but it plays the long game. We've allowed the pendulum to swing TOO far in a certain direction, and it's being held back by the "System".

Huxley and Orwell certainly were visionaries. It was only during the "LockDowns" that I first read "1984" and "Brave New World". There is a movie version of "1984" that stars Richard Burton when he was in his full-blown alcoholism phase, and it has an alternant sound track by the Eurythmics. I liked the movie a lot, however I wished that I had seen the movie first so I would have had a more vivid mental picture of the real horror while I was reading the book.

"1984" lives today. The main character has a job (as do many others) were they must constantly re-write history as well as "disappearing" people who fall out of favor with the Regime. War between 3 world powers is what controls everything/everybody. Cameras everywhere, even in the homes. How could Orwell have known almost to a T our current situation???
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote