View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Reloading is better covered in any one of the many books put out by the bullet manufacturers, so I won't go into the specifics here. But I re-arranged my basement work space and relocated my RCBS reloading press to my Harbor Freight 3in1 workcenter. This allows me to watch TV while reloading.

This is most of the reloading tools I use. I grouped them all together for a photo shoot; I don't use them all at the same reloading session. I 'batch' reload, meaning I'll run 50 or 100 cases through a specific procedure (full length resize; deprime; prime; charge; seat bullet) in one session, then shut down and do something else. I'll space the sessions out over three or four nights, to keep fatigue from becoming a factor in my reloads.

I also occasionally try a new powder, or a new (to me) caliber, and to tailor the reload to that particular powder/bullet, I'll size & prime a number of cases and carry a small amount of powder and bullets to the range for a 'test' session. I'll charge the cartridges with a 'starting load' of powder, and seat the bullets on-site with a Huntington Die Specialties 'backpack' reloading press.

This allows me to do a quick powder charge right on the range, and vary the powder load to get a 'good' grouping & satisfactory functioning of the firearm. I can then go back home and do my 'batch' reloading for that firearm, and be reasonably sure that the resultant reloads will give me the same consistent results that I obtained in the 'test' firing session.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote