View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I'm aware that reloading is not for everyone, and that in this world of disposable commodities we now seem to live in that re-using fired cartridges might seem a waste of valuable time.

But reloading is a way to get the most accuracy from any firearm. Once you decide on a firearm, and a bullet, you can start experimenting with powders. Assuming you are proficient enough to shoot repeatable strings of shots, say groups of five, you can vary the powder charge up or down to see just where the "sweet spot" is for that firearm/bullet combination. You may go from 4.5 grs up to 7.5 grs (for example) shooting 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards...and then, at 6.0 grs, you shoot a 3/4" group...Repeatably...That is the perfect powder charge for that firearm/bullet!

There is also the matter of availablity. Some old calibers aren't available any more. 8mm Nambu, for example. Luckily, because of the efforts of wildcatters, there is information available to make these old calibers from readily available brass. (8mm Nambu can be made from 30 Remington brass cut down).

There is also the factor of cost. Reloading can cut down the cost of shooting, since primers, powder, and bullets can be bought in bulk. Brass also, and it is not unusual for me to get 10 reloads out of one shell (or more).

RCBS makes an excellent "Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit" containing pretty much all the hardware you'll need to reload, and eBay is a ready source for used die sets. I do batch reloading, meaning I take 50 or 100 fired cartridges and perform the reloading steps on that batch all-at-once, one step at a time. I can de-prime & resize while watching TV and waiting for dinner to cook, for example. Then stick those shells away until I feel like priming them; again, all 50 or 100 at once. I tried a 6-position turret press, and did not like it. Too much going on at once; too easy to make a mistake. YMMV.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote