View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
BTW, Luger was experimenting with the chamber of his design from the beginning. There is a step in his 9mm Chamber as well as an oblation ring to help with the seal and release of the case.
Interestingly I have a Grand Power Stibog 9mm which is classified as a pistol by the BATFE. (It has a "brace" and not a shoulder stock) It's made in Slovakia and the action is a blow back design. The barrel is 8 inches and the magazines are either 20 or 30 rounds. Date of production is 2019. Accurate and reliable, it's the most fun gun to shoot that I own. (Picture below)

I use the same load in the Stribog as I do in my shooter Lugers. What's interesting is that the fired cases show that the chamber has a step in it. There is a clearly delineated line around the case where the step is smaller in diameter than the rest of the chamber.

Did the Grand Power engineers duplicate the original Luger chamber? The step indicates that it's possible.

WRT the bullet touching the leade or lands, in most cases it's a bad idea because of pressures. Some benchrest shooters and other precision rifle shooters will sometimes find their best accuracy with the bullet touching or even a few thousands into the lands. Their powder is adjusted to prevent high pressures. For those of us who shoot Lugers or other handguns chambered for .30 Luger or 9mm, the bullet should be a few thousands off of the lands. That was the reason I pointed out the differences in chambers between my vintage Lugers and newer production handguns.

Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: