Thread: Just Inherited
View Single Post
Unread 06-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Bill Russell
New User

Hello Everyone.

I just inherited my Dad's 1913 Erfurt Luger, serial number 4281 all numbers matching. It is in great shape and I don't know if I will keep it or sell it.
When I reassemble the gun, the barrel seems to slide back and forth too easily. Am I doing something, or everything wrong?

Try inverting the frame when you slide the barrel & receiver on. You'll see a small hook that needs to be engaged. See if this helps.
Brendan

Bill, Yes..not everything but the hook on the bottom of the toggle is not hooked to the mainspring.
When sliding the toggle onto the receiver the hook will slide over all untill it gets to the back and then it will fall into the well where it is supposed to hook onto the mainspring. This is a little tricky but easily accomplished. Like Brendan says..you may have to tilt the pistol onto it's back for the hook to fall into place.
When the toggle hook is in place you can see that it is positioned to hook but the toggle must be slid back and firmly establish the hook. This can be done one handed with your thumb in the web of the pistol handle and your fingers wrapped around and over the toggle.

When this is hooked in place you will be able to feel the resistance. Holding the toggle and the handle of the pistol in place, push the muzzle onto a hard surface, not a slippery one though and push down on the muzzle, This action will push the toggle out of battery and enable you to place the sideplate on with your left hand and lock it with the locking lever.

Once you realize how it works and get the hang of it there will be no problems. The barrel & toggle will be held firmly in place by the mainspring.

Jerry Burney

Just inherited complete Erfurt 1913 Luger serial number 4281, all numbers matching, in great shape. The barrel seems to slide rather too easily when I reassemble the gun. Am I doing something or everything wrong? I followed the video on the internet to the T!

Bill Russell, Welcome to the Lugerforum!

You apparently didn't assemble the upper to the frame correctly.
There is a hook which hangs down from the assembled upper and it is supposed to be under the lever that is tensioned by the mainspring on assembly. I think you missed hooking the lever... take it back apart and try again...

There should be spring tension on the last half inch or so of movement prior to completing assembly with the sideplate and takedown lever.

Next time you wish to ask a question that is not related to the thread you are viewing, please start your own message thread instead of tacking your question into an existing thread. That way any answers you get to YOUR question, are separate from the answers to the thread you were reading.

Bill, welcome to the forum.

Would love to see your 1913, I like the earlier ones!

Ed
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote