View Single Post
Unread 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Greavous
User

Default Strange magazine please help ID

Hello all, Im brand new here and although I adore all forms of Luger I do not own one. However, I am a gun guy and own a rather nice specimen of 1943 1911A1.

The reason I signed up here is to seek help figuring out which magazines I have. Years ago I bought a box of reloading supplies and in the box I found these two magazines. Honestly, it wasnt until recent months I took another look at them to discover they were P08 magazines! As I started to look into which ones they were I found the clues few and far between on one of them. So here is what I have and hope someone can elaborate on the details. Both magazines are wood bottom versions.

One is unmarked and in very nice condition. Dent free, rust free, smooth follower and spring movement. There are micro chips in the wood bottom but really pretty nice shape.

The second magazine appears to be a Navy magazine due to the concentric circles in the wood bottom. But here is where things get strange. The numbers stamped into the wood bottom dont go side to side as all the other mags seem to. They are stamped front to rear with a Crown "M" toward the front. The number stamped into the wood bottom is 1897. Even more strange is that is another serial number stamped into the metal portion of the magazine at the rear bottom, "1677". Unfortunately this magazine isnt in as nice of shape as the other and one side of the wood bottom has chipped off. This appears to have happened a very long time ago as the wood where the chip is has a very smoothed surface as if used a lot although chipped.

Attached are some pics. I can certainly take and post more if needed but ill limit thing to just a few which I believe might help the pros do their thing.

Thank for your help,
Chris

The two together

Unmarked bottom of the real nice one

The Navy mag
You are blurry not the picture

Second serial number stamped into the metal
Greavous is offline   Reply With Quote