View Single Post
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Roger, welcome to the forum. You have a very interesting Luger. While I can't be absolutely sure without viewing photos, I believe this pistol belonged to the German police. The canceled marking is probably S.Mg.II.616. which is from the Schutzpolizei of the Magdeburg administrative district in Prussia. In the early 1920s, there were Schupo commands located in four cities in that district. By 1926, these had been consolidated into a single command located in the city of Magdeburg. As a result of this downsizing, this Luger apparently was transferred to the Ordnungspolizei of the city of Hildesheim, hence the marking O.Hi.35. More about these two police units and their pistols may be found in Chapters 10 and 5 of History Writ in Steel.

I hope you will post photos of the markings along with the top, left and right sides of the pistol. I would also like to know the serial number and letter suffix located on the front of the frame above the trigger guard. Photos of the holster and its markings will be helpful also.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote