View Single Post
Unread 09-06-2021, 03:04 AM   #17
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
I suspect that this only happens when you use a certain brand of ammo ??
Does it happen with various ammo's or just one brand ??
This annoying glitch happened to me years ago and it turned out that the old mag I was using with a certain ammo caused this effect.
The old mag had its feed lips bent outwards over the years which caused the ammo to feed at an angle slightly more upward than is normal ... the ammo I used had a pronounced conical shape that caused it to just brush the barrels upper chamber on the way in.
Like your case a gentle nudge was all that was needed to complete the load.

I restored the mags lip geometry and voila the fix was in.

I never thought I would see this symptom again but maybe that is whats going on with your gun ... or maybe its the mainspring ??
I know Wolf's has a spring package with 3 different load ratings
Reduced Power...: 36 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 38 Lb.
Extra Power........: 40 Lb.
https://www.gunsprings.com/LUGER/cID1/mID38/dID162

It never hurts to have spare springs on hand ... I have several ... so no harm no foul if new springs don't fix the problem.

I 100% know you will fix this Mark and if all the above fails you can still carefully start 'hand fitting' your parts the old fashioned German way.

Good luck again .... I wish I was there to assist .... for me this stuff is fun.
I'm going to retest again with different ammo. I thought my reloads were the issue, so I reloaded a few rounds that are very light...ones I thought would not even cycle the gun because they were under 1100 fps, but they had the same issue. I'm already going to order the spring kits tomorrow, even though I'm relative sure it isn't the spring. You're right...having extra springs is good insurance.

Now...just to be clear: the toggle travels all the way back and stays open. When it does it, it's well behind the magazine. In fatc, it sticks back even without a magazine in it.

It could be the main spring, so I'm going to keep folks in the loop.
Military Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote