Unread 09-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #9
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Engineer View Post
There is a little resistance to the bolt going back into the forks when I reassemble
22 is the normal coil count for a mainspring. Before I started shaving metal I would exhaust all other avenues.

"There is a little resistance to the toggle train going back into the fork when I reassemble. It's always been that way, but never given me the issue before."

The only resistance one would normally feel would be when the breach bolt engaged the ejector spring when reassembling. Anything above that and I would start to think about the re-barrel warping or altering the fork positions. Grab a caliper and measure the distance between the forks to check for warped forks all along the forks front to back. It should be around .51" give or take .005" but most importantly they should be the same distance all along the forks, front, middle and back, any noticeable distance change would indicate a warped or 'bent' fork. You also must check the vertical orientation but if it was a vertical aberration you would most likely notice that the axle pin would not fit smoothly.

Again though, I would start with the mainspring.

Good luck Mark.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote