View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
I immediately think weak/short mainspring. Maybe try your old original spring again.
Also check the frames breach block slider grooves for dirt/debris.

You also state the gun has been re-barreled within the last 8 years, with the receiver axle pin removed check that the breach block and toggle link assembly slide easily along the length of the receiver without feeling any abnormal resistance. Re-barreling puts incredible stress on the receiver if not done by a competent gunsmith with proper tools for the job.

Good luck.
The main spring has 22 rungs on it. I wonder if that makes much difference, given I think the standard was 19 for the WW1 military ones?

I am considering a main spring (I've been reading up on the subject here in the forum). It just seems like the spring is pretty stout and I believe it was replaced about the same time as the barrel.

I will check the fitting. There is a little resistance to the bolt going back into the forks when I reassemble, but it hasn't been a problem up to now. I always thought that was there to slow the bolt to aid the mainspring in preventing it from slamming back into the rear of the frame. I mentioned to another poster here that I might consider hand stoning with a fine stone the rail grooves in the fork and the rails on the bolt to smooth out/polish/open up the tolerances. It long been a shooter grade, so I'm not horribly worried about ruining collector value. Just do it slowly until the resistance goes away.

Mark
Military Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Military Engineer for your post: