View Single Post
Unread 04-11-2024, 01:56 AM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default P.38 prep!

Hi Big open! I may be able to help you out... There are two distinct processes that need to be addressed for you to successfully acomplish your quest.
First is prep, and second is finish application!
The best way to strip the old blue is with a glass bead blaster and medium glass beads. After it is completely stripped, you can repolish the flats and exposed areas and leave all the non polished surfaces just as they are after the bead blasting. The flats, grip strap and other parts can be sanded with 220W/D. then 320W/D, and if you want some shine, 400W/D after which you use a 3M fine scotch bright blending pad. If you are going to send it to a salt bluing service, then give all the parts a light coat of oil to prevent rust.
Now for the finishing, you can have it salt blued, which is going to run you about all of the $100.00 you mentioned? Or you can have some other coating applied like nickel, powder coat, dura coat or something similar. Or, you can buy some rust blue solution online and rust blue it yourself and have practically nothing in your quest but time?.. If you want, I can do the glass bead part. It would be inexpensive and we can work something out if you'd like to play.. That's where it ends for me as I haven't any of the bluing / finishing skills to complete the task.. You can reach me at: gctomeks@msn.com best, til.....lat'r...GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote