View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
jonnyc
User

I keep hearing about hot Tokarev SMG ammo, but in-fact there is no such thing. All 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo was produced for both pistol and SMG use. I have a huge file of Tokarev lore, manuals out the wazoo, over 100 boxes/labels, and well over 1000 different Tokarev rounds in my collection. In nothing is there any marking or reference to any Tokarev ammo made for SMG-use only. Many mention pistol, or even pistol and SMG, but not a word about SMG only. It just does not exist. Yes, some Czech ammo was loaded hotter, but as its label states, it is pistol ammo, and was intended for both SMGs and the CZ52 pistol.
Back to the original theme....with a bit of digging, you will find that some pre-war European loadings of 7.63 Mauser were actually hotter than some loadings of 7.62 Tokarev. Try a chrono test of some S&B 7.63 Mauser ammo and some of their loadings in 7.62, I think you might be surprised. Oh, also try some of the S&B-made Winchester ammo. I believe that many of the problems associated with C96 Mauser pistols and "hot Tokarev SMG ammo" were in-fact caused by people shooting old, crappy Mauser pistols in very poor condition. Any warmish ammo, 7.62 or 7.63, would have caused the same damage.
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote