View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
grapppa
User

Default The one that got away

Attended an auction this weekend to bid on a 1940 HK.

Here is the description:

Kreighoff mod. P08 ser.# 10740. Rare German Luger 9mm semi-auto. military pistol with a 4" barrel. Receiver dated 1940. Toggle marked "H K Kreighoff Suhl" with the anchor/dagger. Reportedly made for the Luftwaffe. 100% correct and matching. Late proof marks. Excellent bore and action. Strong to medium straw colors on small parts. 90% original dark salt blue with just a hint of rust at spots. Most of the finish wear is at the muzzle. Excellent original checkered black plastic grips. Correct "FXO" magazine. Includes an extra "FXO" magazine with a damaged plastic bottom. Since only about 4000 of these Kreighoffs were produced between 1938 and 1945, this is an opportunity to add this very scarce variant to your collection! (C&R)

Here are the pix

>
>
Got there early to check it out armed with the research on HKs available on this forum... This was the first HK I ever saw and overall was stunned by the beauty of this firearm. The pictures do not give the right impression; the gun is darker...the grips are black; the pictures give a slight brownish impression - I got the distinct impression that the gun was not fired much at all as the inside surfaces of the frame looked newish. If you've ever bought fine sports cars you know the feeling you get when you are looking at something that is very original an unmessedwith. SN 10740. The gun was much more pristine than the pictures indicate. The locking bolt had the proper buffing canted line - blue variations on toggle ears on frame showed evidence of heat tempering - correct proofs - including on small parts - beveled edge on rear toggle link. Could not dissemble gun but saw proofs on center toggle link. I was confident that this was authentic.

Decided to bid up to $2700 - dont ask why. Bidding started at 1000 went to 500 then back up quickly in increments of 100 to 2000. Quickly went to 2500, paused then went to 3000 quickly. Only 2 bidders now over 3000. In 20 seconds went to 3500 and SOLD at $3500.

I dont know, but I think I goofed up royally underestimating the value of this gun. I think now that the bidding would have gone $4000 easily. To make matters worse, had to leave behind a 1942 cea holster in very good condition 'cause I had to get back to NJ to coach my girls bball team. Went home frustrated and feeling that I missed the chance of a lifetime.

<end crying>

Last edited by grapppa; 02-06-2005 at 02:24 PM.
grapppa is offline   Reply With Quote