View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogy View Post
Thanks for your input! Is there a thread here on how to determine dates of commercial Lugers, I looked but may have missed it. Bogy
The alphabet commercials began in mid-1921 with the i suffix letter. Some believe that they began with 2001i while others think they began with 1i. They continued into 1930 when production was moved to the Mauser factory and the suffix letter reached u or into a few v block pistols.

It's more complicated than that because it was a time of turmoil in Germany and the alphabet commercial Lugers include the Finn contract, kits without barrels sent to Switzerland and other anomalies. Therefore, placing an exact year of production is difficult or not possible and it comes down to a best guess based on the suffix letter. Each suffix letter should represent a block of 10,000 pistols with the possible exception of the letters i and v. The suffix i began in mid-1921 and the Finn contract began in 1923 but was spread out over many suffix letters starting with k and reaching q by 1928. Then suffix letters r - t were delivered between 1928 and 1930. Based on that, yours could have been made as late as 1927. But, whether 1925, 1926 or 1927, yours was made in the mid-1920's. The biggest problem is that production wasn't linear across the years.
Doubs is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: