View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Rob, First, some history. 1906 Navy #6050 is a known gun. It was first reported in a list of surviving Navy Lugers put out by a Mr Pat Redmond in 1975, and then was listed in "World of Lugers" by Sam Costanzo in 1977. I'm presently carrying the Navy List torch, and it's nice to finally set eyes on this piece, although it's sad to see it in such pitiful condition.
I really don't know how to advise you going forward. This double matching rig is of great interest to serious Navy collectors but it's condition is too poor as it now stands, and they wouldn't touch it once it's been restored. Lugerman does do excellent work, but he's painfully slow. I would expect a job of this complexity to take him at least a year. If you think I'm exaggerating search "Lugerman" on this forum! Furthermore, I think his estimate of a finished value of over $7,000.00 is very optimistic. If someone offers you $3,000.00 for the rig in it's unrestored state, I'd suggest you take it. Perhaps Lugerman would be interested?
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Norme for your post: