View Single Post
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #44
jags
User

OK, I had the pistol in hand today. Took some additional photos with my cell phone. So let's see if we can solidify things a bit.

We know that we are basically looking at two different pistols that have made up this one gun. Let's examine the frame/toggle half first.

All numbers are matching on the frame, takedown lever, side plate, safety, and toggle components. There is a notch for a magazine safety. The rear toggle looks to be a replacement as it is proofed as a 1929 rework and has a different serial number font. The front grip strap is marked with police unit marking L.T.8. This would all be consistent with a 1929 rework of a LP08 then reissued to the police. The question remained on the serial number suffix as we did not have a good photo of that. Here is a new photo:

It does look like it is the script letter "B". This would also make it consistent with being a 1929 rework. If this frame did indeed start it's life as a LP08 the "B" suffix would date it as 1916, 1917, or 1918.

Now lets look at the barrel/receiver half. The reciever is dated 1917. The barrel, receiver, and sear have matching numbers. The barrel looks to be a replacement done in 1929 as it has the correct markings. The receiver has the "rear sight flat spot" on top and also has a sear safety. All these feature make it correct for a 1929 rework police reissue. Here is a new photo:

The question is, can we gain any more insight now that we can see the right side proofs a lot better? Could someone identify those proofs and let me know what they are? Also can someone identify the proofs on the left side of the barrel?

All in all this is a very interesting Luger. If it wasn't for the two different serial numbers it would identify itself as being originally an Imperial WWI made LP08 that was issued to the police after WWI. In 1929 the pistol was recalled to be reworked into a 4 inch P08 which was then reissued to the Landjaegerei Trier Police. A few years later it had the police markings stamped on the grip frame and the sear and magazine safetys installed.

It is interesting to note that, even with two different serial numbers, each half of the gun seems to have gone through the same history! So like I said before if anyone asks here's my story.

Late February, 1945: Two German police officers of the Trier police force are cleaning their Lugers when an urgent call comes in. The Americans are advancing on the city! In their haste they accidentally grab the wrong barrel/receivers and reassemble their pistols. The officers and their weapons are captured and the pistols remained mismatched ever since!

Please feel free to comment, question, and add whatever you can. I know that this will never be a collectable, but for my own curiosity it's interesting to determine whatever history I can. I bought it as a shooter, it has a good bore, but it also has a unique history of its' own. From what I have seen so far I think I will be very happy with it!

Thanks again!

Last edited by jags; 04-14-2012 at 07:21 AM.
jags is offline   Reply With Quote