View Single Post
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
CptCurl
User

Last weekend I loaded a batch of 7.65mm using a little .313" cast semi-wadcutter bullet I have for use in my .32 S&W Long. They chambered perfectly and shot more accurately than Fiocci FMJ factory rounds. Seating these underscored the need for a flared case mouth as there was some shaved lead. My load was 5.0 grains of SR4756. The action of my DWM 1923 Commercial cycled fine but wouldn't hold open. That's why I jacked up my powder charge to 5.3 grains with the batch loaded using the Ranier bullet.

Seating the plated bullet didn't result in shaving but it would go smoother with a flared mouth. I have a .30 cal. Lyman "M" die I use with cast loads in .30-06, but I don't think it will adjust down low enough for this tiny round. Also, the expander spud might be too long on the first stage for the 7.65mm (might hit bottom in the case). Obviously from my speculative comments I haven't dug it out of my archives to give it a try. My expander for the .32 S&W Long won't work because of the smaller body of that case.

I'm not familiar with the Lee universal die. Do you have a product number for it at Midway?

I keep asking myself why in the crap I'm playing with this troublesome round? Is it a more spiritual experience than firing the ubiquitous and easily loaded 9mm through a Luger?

I have one of the cute little buggers in my pocket here at work today. Take it out, fondle it, set it on my desk and eyeball it . . . What can I say?

Curl
CptCurl is offline   Reply With Quote