View Single Post
Unread 09-20-2004, 09:00 PM   #9
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Mark..!!!!

Actually - either numbered or un-numbered is correct... The Early S series are rather rare, and I've seen a number of them that follow Gibson - and a few that do not insofar as numbering styles/placement and small parts (where the LWaA 2 is placed, for example). These pieces are also correct....

As for replacement grips - that's going to be a tough one, as most of the wood panel grips are original to Mauser, DWM and others. As you know - HK panels are different, but - don't give up hope, as once in a while, I stumble across some strange HK findings.

Also - regardless, the trigger lever should have an LWaA2 proof - typically "upside down", inside face towards the bottom. HOWEVER, a few were stamped against the plate, so you'd have to remove the lever pin to be certain....??

As for the roughly machined parts... I don't have an explanation..??? Later years, they seemed to have given them a quick final polish, which is smoother on the flats. But - through "36" and Post War, the rough machine marks that your's has is not uncommon.

Honestly? I really like your HK... Many HKs on the market today have been "dressed up" to command a better price. Your's is the way they were - and it reminds me of many of the first that I began with years ago. Since then, I only "upgrade" when I can find a better ("correct/unmolested") piece from the same variation, but please remember - I've been doing the HK thing for over 15+ years.... However, some dealers are asking "stupid" prices for boosted pieces, so buyer beware.

For that - I'd latch onto your's in a nano-second. It's a terrific example of a very scarce Early S. And for that - I really appreciate it..!!!!

Best to you!

John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote