Unread 12-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #32
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Homestead Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
You are right.. when a spouse dies you get which ever spouse is higher~You only get one!!! Which Sucks! Your Bills Remain The Same! And Much More~!!! My monthly rose only $200/mo Inflation wipes it out and more!!! Every time the value of house ggoes up, its taxed higher.We bought this house for $70k two years ago now value and taxes have doubled and so did taxes etc. https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/port-sai...52--2037746064
Eric,

I assume this is your Homestead. First you should get 25K relief plus another 25K relief.

Plus under the Save our Home Act, your taxable value can only go up 2 percent per year, irrespective of what your home might be valued at by the realtors.

I was in my home here in Sarasota for 21 years and my taxable value never increased more than 2 percent per year. When I recently sold and down sized, the accumulated benefit followed me to my new smaller home.

I strongly recommend that you get an appointment with your local Advisor for the Elderly who should be able to allay your fears and point you in the right directions so you can get all the benefits to which you are entitled. And its free advice.

Florida takes good care of its Senior Citizens.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post: