View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default same only different!

Hi Tom, I think that due to it's brief lifespan, the drum probably presented more problems then it resolved! But, the problems were different from todays issues! The original drums, as well as the repros, needed lubrication to function, but, the military ammo was sealed and as such you could preload the drum and have less worry about lube seeping past the primers and bullets, and killing the round? Also, the mil spec ammo was consistant in OAL and the drum was specifically designed around this ammo.
As for operator skill, I think they came up to speed pretty fast, and most soldiers at the time, had mechanical skills that are not needed now? Fortunatly for the Germans, the learning curve on drums was short! I think the average soldier appreciated having the advantages a drum mag would provide, despite problems that went along with their deployment. It would be interesting to go back and see how they were introduced and the instruction that went along with them?
I'd bet more got used on 4" Lugers even though we have them linked to the artillery models... Pretty nasty pice of kit either way! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: