View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #39
LugerVern
User

Off to an interesting start I see!

David is correct about the micro fractures; when you broke the blade or when it was serrated tiny cracks formed; this sets up galvanic corrosion especially in an electrolyte like salt water.

I am always so disappointed in Rem Oil and Hoppeâ??s in adverse environmentsâ??sad

We know Break Free should do well, I am very interested in Mobil 1 and the ATF so far they look pretty good, it may take along time before you see something happen to some of your samples.

WD40 was designed to displace water but because of its solvent abilities is usually not recommend for old guns especially those that have brown rust finish, it will not harm guns in good condition, I have not tested ATF in rust removal but Mobil 1 is just as aggressive at dissolving rust as WD40 maybe more, it is detergent oil after all.

After you settle on your best preservatives, as a finial reality check, I would like to suggest getting the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on each and doing a comparison. It is next to impossible to handle your guns, let alone shoot them with out getting some of that preservative on your hands.

In other words, what good is that rust free gun if youâ??re dead or canâ??t remember where you put it?

My brother-in-law currently suffers from loss of short term memory, like in the movie (50 First Dates), funny movie but not funny in real life. His sickness is a result of small amounts of chemical exposure over a long period of years, he may never recover.

Just a Suggestion.

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote