View Single Post
Unread 04-30-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
mac44mag
User

Default Yet Another Newbie ID

I'm new to Luger's and know just enough to know that I'm WAAAAY over my head.

A dear friend passed about three months ago. Last week his widow called and informed me that they'd found, "...some guns..." in cases in the basement. Yeah, I know, but this one really happened. Anyway, this was among the bunch.

From my very limited knowledge of Luger's, it appears to be a pre-war 1936 "i" series Mauser. All numbers with the exception of the magazine match. Gun retains 90-95% of original blue (assuming it hasn't been reblued...ears still show tool marks, all straw parts are correct color). Bore is absolutely pristine. Light wear on the normal sharp edges.

Magazine appears to be a late war issue (Pinned plastic base, no SN). It exhibits "fxo" over a "straight wing/37" and "P08" (upright) on the base and another faint 'straight-wing/37" at the top of the magazine with the magazine on it's spine. No visible proof marks. A Type 6?

Both my friend and his wife were/are anti-firearm and the guns were inherited. I don't believe that either of them realized what they had.

When I got it the action was frozen solid. Probably hadn't been racked in 30+ years. It took 3 days soaking to get the toggle open and do a light field strip. Still cannot get the toggle pin out to clean the toggle/firing pin assembly and really don't relish beating on it to try and force it.

The family is attempting to establish estimated value for estate purposes. Any information on history, value, etc. that you might offer would be greatly appreciated.

mrerick: Your FAQ has been invaluable to this point. Thank you SO much for the time and effort that you and others have put into this tool.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

Mac44mag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fnt_Frame.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	85203  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lft_Side_Full.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	174.3 KB