View Single Post
Unread 11-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #8
andrev
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I suggest that you do whatever you can immediately to document the connection of this Luger with the Battle of Montecassino. Get at least a signed statement from the collector with as much detail as possible.

KFS
Ok, thanks for your advice.
I spoke again with the professional seller who sold it to me. He told me he bought it in a batch of WWII weapons from a man in Cassino who had inherited from his father a very large collection of weapons from the war.

His father was an important commissioner for the Cassino area after WWII. Due to his role, people were bringing him weapons found in the area in the following years and so he accumulated many pistols and guns.

I do not think the seller is going to tell me who this guy was (the heir, I mean, so I could try to ask him something more), but i'm going to try.

If the story is true and if it doesn't belong to the period before the battle in cassino (1944), it could belong to one of the German divisions on the picture I attached.
But I could be wrong in my reasoning, not knowing perfectly what happened during the months of that hard and difficult battle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	87710  

andrev is offline   Reply With Quote