View Single Post
Unread 02-09-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Fritz,

Thanks for the extra pictures. It would be really interesting if you could look at the breechblock stamps under extreme magnification--an extreme closeup if you can manage it. The two stamps appear to be different, and I am not convinced from this photo that the lower one is e/2.

It appears to be characteristic of Krieghoffs that, more often than not, they do not have witness marks. I've lightened up your photo here to show that; I'm also interested to note the absence of worker's marks or other marks around the recoil lug, so unlike DWM, Efrurt, and Mauser.

I also processed the loading tool and enlarged it a bit. Absent a very magnified view, we will need to depend on your eye to identify it. Are you sure it isn't an e/63?

The "thumbnail", as I am informed, is a patch on the rear part of the frame under the rear toggle, where the toggle tail strikes it at full recoil. It is a small hardened area, heat-treated separately after the frame is completed. It takes blue differently from the steel around it, and looks like a thumbnail-shaped discoloration. It may not photograph easily, although you should see it fairly well.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote