View Single Post
Unread 11-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
1917garkunkel
User

Default Please help Luger Artillery newb: molested barrel (ewe!)?

Hello all,

Another Luger inheritor here, looking for a clue!

Mine is a 1917 Artillery (i hope) all numbers 37 except rear section of toggle link and possibly the barrel, and magazine. My father bought this in Chicago in '65. It was last fired in '90-ish. Now it is mine.

After some reading here and elsewhere, i'm coming to the conclusion that the 8" barrel on this was turned or machined somehow at the breech end to get rid of the squared section for the mounting of the sight. if this is the case, i want to find the machinist and begin strangling procedures!

The bottom of the barrel where markings would typically be found shows absolutely nothing. also, i can't discern numbers on the front sight, but maybe the small cross piece was punched out, inverted, reinstalled, hiding the 37?? see that pic, showing a line punched in to the top right side of that little cross piece.

So...
I'm wondering if any one of you have seen this characteristic on an artillery barrel, or could shed any light on 'who dunnit' ...or just tell me anything about my assumptions that this thing has been majorly tampered with/altered!

I saw one other artillery on here somewhere (it was an hour or so back in my searching) with a round area where the sight would mount, that someone affixed an artillery style rear sight to. this was definitely a mod.

thank you all very much!! -Ross

well, crap... i just tried to upload 6 pictures and am unable to. hmm, i will try again, or, maybe it's because i am new here?

in the meantime i will post this
1917garkunkel is offline   Reply With Quote