View Single Post
Unread 06-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #21
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Wes,

You should also take into account that direct translation from one language into another is not a science... and in many cases it is quite impossible to convey the same intended meaning in the language of the translation...

I know this because I have lived 8 of my many years outside of the U.S. and have a conversational working knowledge of two other languages...

If I had to translate the title of the article without benefit of a dictionary, I would have said that it stated (in general): "A pistol carbine in .45 caliber with an unknown (or doubtful) origin" (and that is no bull, just the facrs as they are known today)

Klaus' translation of the title is about as accurate as can be stated in English (I meant American... sorry Tacfoley, and our other UK members!) [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, we can argue about the pro's & con's, but the reality of the situation is without documented provenance on the origin of the .45 caliber carbine in Ralph's possession, we may never know the real story...

The fact that it has remained unknown in collecting circles up until now makes it curious...not a fraud. I will wait for the evidence. If it never comes, we still have to recognize that it is the ONLY .45 claiber carbine KNOWN to exist. Unless it is proven by either metallurgy or other scientific or forensic testing to be of modern manufacture, I will have to give the weapon the benefit of the doubt. I doubt seriously that anyone is going to purchase this gun at the price of $1,000,000.00 (USD) until it's authenticity is proven beyond a doubt anyway... the only persons who would risk that kind of money would be backed by terms and condition of the sale should the gun be proven to be of modern manufacture at some future date, or someone who personally KNOWS it to be authentic.

just my pound of flesh on the matter... [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote