View Single Post
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:21 PM   #18
tom
User

Default Re: My combat choice!

having had personal experience with the exchange of ball ammunition during the unpleasantries in southeast asis some years ago, I can assure you that in a fight, if you armed with a handgun, it needs to be bigger than a 9MM. I have personally witnessed a GI being shot in the face at a range of less than 5 feet witha 9MM. The slug broke the skin just under the left eye and abeam the bridge of the nose, deflected upward and outward and traveled around the eye socket subcutaneously coming to rest just above the eyebrow. It was visibly bulging the skin. The GI shootee, a former Golden Gloves semi-finalist nearly beat the shooter half to death with a piece of a field table before he could be stopped. He was a bloody mess; an enraged bloody mess and quite animated.

One worthy oriental gentleman I had occasion to engage with a M1911AI at a range of about 30 feet wasn't nearly so animated after he and that 235 grain full metal jacket slug traveling at 850 fps collided. He was also a bloody mess but he was most assuredly not animated.

Moral: use enough gun