View Single Post
Unread 07-15-2001, 05:47 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Default Re: Shooting Lugers (Safety Issue)

Luke,

This is a good question! As to whether the WWI or WWII Lugers would be safer, I feel that either one would be a personal choice.

The safety of these pistols are one of the best in the world. They were very well manufactured and had to pass the individual part inspection plus the proof test. The biggest question is how have they been treated since they were manufactured. This is a question that is difficult to answer. Unless you are very familiar with the pistol, a trip to a local gunsmith to have him check it out would be a good idea. I look at the overall condition, bore condition, if all the moving parts seem "free" when actuated manualy, and for areas which may show unecessary wear. Look carefully ar the rear frame area which actuates the toggle mechanism. If the pistol has been fired a lot or with extra power loads, there is a "peening" which shows up in this area. This will not preclude a bad pistol, but indicates a lot of firing.

Don't worry about it blowing up in your face if these things check out OK, I feel it is one of the safest pistols ever made.

Marvin