View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
LugerVern
User

Thanks Pete for sharing the pictures, for some reason I simply can not access that site no matter what I do.

Well here I am again criticizing someoneâ??s expensive guns. I derive no pleasure from it; I am no expert in spotting fakes, my talent lies mostly in comparing the detail of an original to that of the suspect gun in extreme detail and then comparing that to written documentation.
With that said here is my review of the three 5000 series A&F guns.

All three guns fall outside normal expected serial ranges. To establish precedence the guns need be nearly perfect, they are no where near good enough as you will see below.

The barrel band is too elongated on all three, yes it should be extended but the 3 guns in question are not of the right configuration.

____
To the left of the side frame serial number of 5366 is the remnant of the BP or P proof.

There is obvious file marks on the frame near the side plate and just above the mag release on 5366.
____
The last digit of 5553 (3) has been over stamped with a flat top 3 to make it possible to match up the gun.

The DWM scroll is inconsistent on 5553

The (i) on the frame serial number has been severely botch on 5553

â?? when added together 5553 looks like a parts gun

Both 5553 & 5366 have the unrelieved sear bar, for guns made in 1922 this is unlikely.
____

The safety has been severely messed with on 5249 and is currently broken or disconnected internally; the polished area has been touched up.

IMHO all three 5000 series A&Fâ??s are fakes and should be avoided.

I am still convinced that the original roll die or a near perfect reproduction is being used to create the fakes. There is one other possibility in that a small batch of original barrels may have been located. The barrels do not look properly crowned to me and this may be why they look funny. I would love to measure the overall length.

Thanks

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote