Thread: Luger Stock
View Single Post
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Maestro
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_VA View Post
I've got no dog in this fight, but as a collector (neophyte or experienced veteran), I've got to side with David on this one. I find comments like "it's no good", "it's a repro", "save your money", etc... to be less than helpful because they don't teach anything or help the new collector learn.
Just my humble opinion
Here's a couple things I picked up researching!!

In the German military Lugers, only the 6" Navy and 8" Artillery were ever issued with a shoulder stock.
On the Navy and Artillery the stock was never used alone. It was attached to the holster, and the holster and stock were used together. The rig was carried slung over the shoulder by straps rather than being in a holster fastened to the belt. Artillery and Navy Lugers can have detachable stocks. Standard P08s even though they have a lug, can not.

Good source is in "Luger Holster and Accessories of the 20th Century" by Eugene J. Bender on page 225. The dimension of the stock are for the most part clear, although they are in metric.

Either a real or repro stock is only legal on a Luger which was originally issued with a stock. The C&R list has a section that list acceptable pistol and stocks sets and it states that the stock must be original issue stocks not reproductions or replicas . A repro stock on a Luger, even if it's an exact duplicate, has to first pass the proper paperwork and registration of the stock and pistol as a Short Barrel Rifle with the BATFE and may have to pay the $200 tax stamp fee. According to ATF list of curios and relics (pub. 5300.11, part III), the lugers and stocks that are exempt or excluded from the NFA restrictions are very specific, and don't cover all pre-war and wartime artillery lugers and stocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	37741  

Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Maestro for your post: