Unread 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #29
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
But I would not form 223 to 30 Luger unless that is all I had or just wanted to do it for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronen View Post
...fun for the challenge to say you did it but not at all practical for quantity in my opinion when using a simple single stage press.
There was a time in the early '70's when you could not find 7.63 Mauser or 7.65 Luger brass, loaded ammunition, or even old surplus anywhere...making it was the only way to shoot an old firearm...I got into cartridge conversion/wildcats when I had my first 45 Colt Auto and wanted to shoot the 38-45 Clerke out of it. That led me into chamber reaming and case forming. I also had a Chinese rifle that shot 7.62 x 39 and there was no ammo available for that either. * But .223/5.56mm cases were all over the place, you couldn't walk 10 feet on the range without stepping on them. So that got used to make just about everything. I still find once-fired .223 brass at the local range (along with police 9mm). Hey - If it's free, it's for me!

Quote:
The spin test is slang pertaining to the CZ52 and usually surplus 7.62 ammo. The chamber is tight on the CZ52 and some of the cases are sometimes too wide and too long to properly seat...
I have a 7.63 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev chamber reamer if you want to see if that chamber will open up a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
I probably loose about 85 percent of my Luger brass at the local indoor range...
I lose one out of five expended cases in our indoor range...No idea where those 5 - 10 cases go...I sweep diligently, check corners, under benches, even get a chair and check the light fixtures...Nothing...

I mentioned it to the club president some time back and they put up screens between stations to keep the brass close to you...

* There was a gunsmith who had two boxes [20 rds each] of some Finnish 7.62 x 39 left from some exotic rifle he built...I bought them, but the price was exorbitant...And I couldn't find any more...

Last edited by sheepherder; 12-04-2013 at 10:14 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote