Thread: 1939 holster
View Single Post
Unread 04-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

G, The Luger was developed and fielded by the German military when the horse was a common mode of transport. Or not long after the horseless carriage, the tin lizzie & model T which threw about the same amount of mud! The Luger, being the finely machined mechanism that it is, was not immune to dirt, mud & other debris that it could be exposed to on a regular military basis. Horses were particularly bad. They would throw mud EVERYWHERE! Any exposure in a holster that would allow entry was not going to work. Thus, the Germans nested the Luger deep inside with a tight top cover. It was/became necessary to not only unbuckle the top but then pull up on a strap to bring the pistol out far enough to get a finger or two under the handle. When these German holsters began to come to the US after WW1 American owners/users didn't understand this system of protection and found it to be extremely alien to the US culture, especially western quick draw culture. Hence the name..cowboy cut.

I have to confess I took the same approach to my AR15. Ever since carrying an M16 for 2 years in combat I always detested the two finger grasp to pull the T handle charger to get the bolt out of battery. Then a rediculous thumb push to seat the bolt. So I had a new upper machined and a charging handle attached to the bolt. I don't need to close a door on my bolt. It makes my AR into a REALLY easy to use rifle. It's pure genius and a modification I am really surprised no major manufacturer has taken up to boost sales of Ar's.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post: