View Single Post
Unread 07-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
biffj
User

Don't worry Phil....I won't wear the Luger out. My main concern isn't bore wear though, its wearing on the finish from handling, cleaning and operating that bothers me. Having put many many thousands of rounds downrange through the hot submachineguns and other high-speed ammo disassemblers I have no concerns over jacketed bullets wearing the bore. I just don't see it happening in guns that don't heat up that much. My buddies favorite competition subgun has about 40,000 rds through the current barrel and there is no visible or measureable wear and the difference in group size from new to now is within spec for random variation. The jackets aren't the cause of the wear in a steel bore, the hot high pressure gas is and as long as the steel of the barrel can dissipate the heat there is little wear from that. My belt feds and other rifle cal MG's do show some wear from gas erosion but most of that is due to the much higher temps reached by the barrels in these guns. The MG42 in 7.92 will show little wear if the bursts are kept below 200rds but running 300 rds without stopping will create visible and measureable wear in just one burst.
In any case, I just need to get a shooter Luger and keep these pretty ones pretty.

Phil,
I'm not working the show for Ohio Ord this weekend so I'm planning on heading over tomorrow and actually getting to wander the whole show. Are you going to make it down???
We can argue about all sorts of stuff if you can make it. We are also going to shoot on sunday and I'm taking the MG15 out with the watercooled kit on it. Come over and shoot with us.....
send me an Email or call and we can do some plotting and scheming.

Thanks guys
Biff (Frank).
biffj is offline   Reply With Quote