View Single Post
Unread 10-28-2002, 06:40 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

[quote]Originally posted by Wm. Pete Ebbink:
<strong> ....R. Gibson, on page 186 of The Krighoff Parabellum, does state in reference to the 1945's that "...The marking traits.. &lt;snip&gt;</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry Pete - I almost missed this one...

Actually, the differences are found in what Gibson refers to as "Late" 1944 production and 1945 production (above serial number 13,000). For example 1944 Chamber date HK number 13,0XX (sorry - this one isn't mine, so I can't give the full number) shares similiar traits to the 1945 production (to note: extractor lettering, LWaA 1 Acceptance stamp, saftey, grip sub-variations, toggle die, etc., etc., etc.) where there is commonality between the late 1944 and 1945 production - and dissimiliar to any previous HK production. However, I believe that all of these serial numbers are in the 13,000/13,100 serial blocks (a few 1944 and 1945 production).

Of interest though, in this thread - those that will dispute that there are 1945 HKs, will also have to refute that there are late production 1944 HKs that share similiar and unique traits to the 1945 HK production, which also share the same serial blocks.

One of Gibson's theories is that these may have been manufactured outside the SUHL facility - but I'm not aware that his theory has either been proved or disproved...

I'll try to post references (page #'s) in Gibson's book when I get home later tonite and have a chance to find the relevant areas....

Oh - and the person who had the "1945" dies discovered on his premisis, passed away some time ago (I don't believe they found certain proof stamps that would indicate he was responsible for many of the unique machining marks Gibson alludes to in late production, so draw your own conclusions [img]smile.gif[/img] )- but he also had a "marketing" partner...

Hope this helps!
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote