View Single Post
Unread 11-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Default Luger "Reinforced" Frame

A recent comment about reinforced Luger frames got me to thinking about a photo comparison I made awhile ago, and wondering if it related.

John Walter, in "The Luger Book" (1986, p.117, 217) and "Luger" (1977, p.209) asserts that Erfurt machined their P-08 frames with a steel reinforcement spur protruding into the recoil spring well under the spring guide, and that in 1915 DWM added this feature to their P-08 production as well.

Walter illustrates the difference, seen here scanned from "Luger"--unreinforced to the left, reinforced to the right (his frame illustration in "The Luger Book" is hopeless, and doesn't even show this feature).

Walter is in error in this regard.

The illustration below shows the evolution of the Luger frame from the 1906 model through the 1914 model. It is clear to see that the "reinforcing" piece is actually present on the 1906 Luger frame, and is associated with the tab which holds the holds the grip safety and grip safety spring. The P-08, in this case a Commercial, retains the metal spur, although the grip safety tab is no longer present. By 1917 the metal spur is gone, and the recoil spring well is faced off with a straight cut.

It is reasonable to assume that, at some time during Luger production, this metal spur was omitted in order to eliminate a machining step or two, with the added benefit of reducing the gun's weight by a couple of ounces.

In the course of research a number of Imperial Military Lugers were examined to see if they exhibited this feature, and to determine, if possible, when the frame whas changed. Subject guns included:

DWM
1908, four guns: two ns and two a suffix
1910: c suffix
1911, two guns: e suffix
1912, two guns: ns
1913: a suffix
1914: ns
1915, three guns: two c suffix, one d suffix
1916, three guns: two i suffix, one o suffix
1917, four guns: one b suffix, two LP08 g and k suffix, one Navy ns
Safe/Loaded Commercial
Alphabet Commercial, u suffix

Erfurt
1911, two guns: ns
1912, two guns: ns
1913: ns
1914: a suffix
1917: h suffix
1917/18: s suffix

The DWM guns through 1914 all had the spur in the recoil spring well. The 1915 guns and onward were all straight frame.

The 1911 Erfurts had the spur, 1912 and onward were straight frame.

Call For Data

Jan Still (correspondence) has established that the change in DWM production occurred between Lugers 1914 serial# 468, and 1915 serial# 3220c. Erfurt production chanaged between Lugers 1911# 7638 and 1912 serial# 454.

I am going to start another database, to try to refine the year and serial# of the changeover point. Anyone owning Lugers between those dates and numbers, please check your frames for the presence or absence of the recoil well spur. As always, post your information here, or email me dwightg@pacifier.com

It would also be useful to know where this changeover occurred in Commercial production, as it would help establish a production date in corrrelation with the military data. Owners of P-08 Commercials, 1914 Commercials, and the Army and Navy variations of those models, after serial# 46161, please report your guns' characteristics in this regard as well.

This has been an interesting discovery, and I thank everybody in advance for their information.

--Dwight
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post: