View Single Post
Unread 06-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #16
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Well, it's great to see the theory of internal ballistics explored thoroughly.

How exactly are you all measuring your experiments with high pressure? How are you coming to your conclusions about the safety of your loads?

What instrumentation systems are you using in your reloading experiments?

How many pressure peaks are you generating with these loads? How are they spread in time?

Or... Are you theorizing in the blind? At 35,000, 40,000, 50,000 PSI is that a good idea? Something we would recommend to our forum readers?

There is a reason you do not treat reloading manuals as recipe books. It is because they are accumulated and documented evidence of measured experiments. When you change any factor from what the manufacturer documented, you are performing your own experiment.

I reloaded for over 15 years before I more formally studied this when preparing to be certified to teach the NRA Reloading Course. I've now taught that course regularly for several years. Multiple manufacturers collaborated on the material developed for this course, and I discovered many things that I thought I knew about reloading were, in fact, assumptions.

JMHO is fine for many things. I'll never rely on it when reloading for handguns and rifles. Your results may vary. If they do, I am happy for you.

This isn't about a forum participant "being right". I frankly don't care what an individual may do based on their opinion. All I can do is try and share, contribute and inform. If someone disagrees, I'm quite happy with responsible discussion. Everyone can always learn something...

I'm more conservative about reloading safety than many people. So far, I haven't destroyed a firearm with my reloads, and have helped a number of people proceed safely in an interesting aspect of our hobby.
The following 7 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: