View Single Post
Unread 03-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
farinacci56
User

Default Getting these to funtion

First I gotta say the amount of information here is amazing and thanks. I am trying to get a couple of guns to function and hope you can help. One is a 1929 DWM police gun, a 4" P0-8 the second is a 1917 LP- 08, both all matched, good shape both of them. The magazines are brand new mec gars. I was told a medium slow powder is best for these so I using 5.5 4756 with a 124 grain round nose hardcast bullet - brand Hunter's Supply seated to 1.173 oal. They function well most of the time, but I get an intermittent failure to feed where the loaded round ends up with the bullet ending up missing the chamber and pointing in the direction of the ejection port. I have Goetz and Sturgess' book ( another treasure) and according to them this jam is an indication that the toggle and breechblock are not travelling back all the way rearward and creating the failure to feed with the loaded round pointed in the direction of the ejection port. The holdopen works about 80% of the time and the jam as described is about 10 -20% of the time. I am tempted to load a bit hotter, but my Lyman manual says 5.5 of 4756 is the max for this bullet weight and I hate to go hotter with guns of this age. They shoot so well that I'll love to get them to work for the combat matches we have. any ideas would be much appreciated- regards MC

PS Don't think I am limpwristing them
farinacci56 is offline   Reply With Quote