View Single Post
Unread 09-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Based on the serial number and the description - my guess is that it is the later, rarer type - but I can't be sure until you pull the locking bolt and take a look for some small diget stamps or I can see the versions of the proofs/digets and their placements. As well - do you know which version of the extractor you have? But.....

As well, as you probably know - there are actually 4 variations of the "1940" (yours would be in the #3 as I define that variation below). Gibson broadly defines "2" - but there are actually 4.
- 1) early through mid production using the previous (pre-40 military stampings and the LWaA Stage II and previous versions of S 1 stamps) (about 650 of the original "1000" in the larger production);
- 2) late main production in the serial block of 10,000-11,000, using the star you note
- 3) late production found in the 11,000 - 11,290 range (which also shares common aspects to the Series I P-Code commercial, as the early P-Codes were pulled from this range) and the later LWaA S1 marks you noted (if you are sure they are "late"!); and
- 4) late production in the serial range of 11,250+ (less then 12,000), which has a C3 toggle and more common proofs to the later HK production overall.

However - all that being said - I'd really like a photo of the right side - including rails and receiver, so I can take a look at the versions of the proofs (and maybe a shot of the toggle - so I can confirm for you it's a C2, rather then a C3 - also found in that range )..!

Also - I'll confirm these tonite and post back anything I find from Gibson (I wrote the above off the top of my head - and my books/notes are at home... I really should keep a copy of all that stuff here, too..!!!)

Best to you,

- John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote