View Single Post
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #21
Chuckc
User

Default Rust Blue Formula

Well, I finally got some time to do some experimenting over the Holidays.

I blued some barrel segments using four different formulas. The picture I have attached shows three of the formulas and two lugers for comparison.

From right to left is an original 1923 commercial in excellent original condition. Barrel segment 1 was done with Pilkingtons, Segment 2 was done with Wakon Bay, and Segment 3 was done with a modified Bern formula that I mixed up myself. The Artillery on the right is a refinish by Thor.

The Bern formula (slightly modified) is primarily a nitric acid base with no hydrochloric acid in the formula. The other two have both Nitric and Hydchloric and I found they were much more agressive than the Bern.

In fact I would say the Bern is much more friendly to proof marks than the other two.

The picture was taken outdoors in natural light and I hope you can see the difference. In my opinion the Pilkingtons is too black. The Bern, IMO, comes very close to the DWM color. The color in the highlights is the same light blue grey color when examined with reflected light. I am not sure how to explain that, or if that makes any sense to anyone.

Anyway, what is the opinion of those who care to take a look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rust blue experiment.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	607