View Single Post
Unread 02-16-2001, 08:11 PM   #9
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Aaron's "Germany" marked DWM has been added...

Hi Aaron,

Yup - the lighting on the side plate fooled me! I thought I could see two holes in the top of the side plate, one filled and one still open.

Iâ??ll happily take your word that the â??20â? on the side plate is identical in form and size to the rest of the â??20â? markings on the rest of the parts - you have the pistol in your hands and are a better judge than I! That the pistol is rust blued would tend to make me think the pistol was last finished in the 1920â??s, probably in Germany, when it was refurbished prior to export. FWIW, this is one of the characteristics of the 1920 Commercials. Mechanically and cosmetically, the 1920 Commercials were new guns, albeit that they were usually either refurbished Great War pistols or assembled from parts from Great War pistols.

Regarding your comment, â??one would think that a 1914 dated Luger would show some signs of battle useâ?, Iâ??d just say, â??some signs of issueâ?. That might be use or just holster wear, but Iâ??d not generally expect a 1914 dated pistol to be in like new condition. Its condition is another factor that makes me think â??1920 Commercial.â?

In terms of a sear safety, I donâ??t collect Police Lugers and so donâ??t have a sample I can photograph for reference. In essence, a sear safety is a small device that was attached above the side plate to prevent accidental discharges if the pistol was field stripped or reassembled while there was a round in the chamber. I hope eventually someone with a Luger that has a sear safety will post a picture.

Best regards,

Kyrie